Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety
Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and utility of modern fireplaces. Today, many gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts have glass fronts to enhance the beauty of the fire. While gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts are a great asset to any home, glass fronts can become extremely hot during and even long after operation. Therefore, it’s important to remember, touching the hot glass front can lead to serious, irreversible burns. Below is information that will allow you to continue to enjoy the many benefits of your gas fireplace, stove or insert while providing an added level of safety against burns.
• Safety Tips When Operating Your Appliance
• Safety Products for Existing Fireplaces, Stoves and Inserts
• Tips on Purchasing Aftermarket Safety Products: English
• Tips on Purchasing Aftermarket Safety Products: French
• Safety Mandate for New Glass Front Fireplaces: English
• Safety Mandate for New Glass Front Fireplaces: French
• Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: English
• Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: French
• Educating the Public: Downloadable Materials
Majestic Gas Stoves Safety Advisories
• Health Canada Safety Advisory: English & French
• BC Safety Authority Advisory
• TSSA Directors Order FS-195-12r1 – Final (February 15 2016) (003)
• TSSA Director’s Safety Order Majestic FSDV Series (Revision 1)
• Original TSSA Safety Order
Regency Fireplace Safety Advisories:
• Gas Stove Safety Recall
Introduction to Wood Stoves : Burn Wise
Watch the HPBAC Fireplace Safety Video
Grill Brush Safety
If you opt to use a brush with bristles to clean your grill, follow these safety steps:
- In many ways, grill brushes are like toothbrushes. When you see the bristles beginning to flatten or lose their efficacy, it’s time to replace.
- Apply the “tweezer test”: take a pair of tweezers, randomly select five to 10 bristles and gently pull – if any bristles come off, it’s time to replace.
- We don’t recommend not leaving grill brushes exposed to the elements when not in use. The rain, sunlight, humidity, snow, etc., can age them prematurely.
- Above all, treat your grill brush just as you would any part of your grill and grilling environment: Follow manufacturers’ instructions and continuously inspect before and after using.